Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Magic Wings


No one could believe that I had never visited a butterfly conservatory considering how much I love butterflies.  Well now when asked I can proudly respond "Yes, I've been to Magic Wings in South Deerfield, MA and loved it!"  I spent over 3 hours there wandering thru swarms of butterflies from North America, South & Central America & Asia, photographing each and every one of them.  Of course my ultimate goal was to have my picture taken of one that landed on me.  I wore a colorful top with butterflies on it in the hopes of luring them in and hopefully finding me enticing enough to take a rest from flight. I was there well over 2 hours before one ever touched down, and each time one did, Rob was no where in sight, and when a nearby visitor offered to help, they'd take flight again.
Cairns Birdwing - Male & Female (Asia)
Rice Paper (Asia)


Finally, at the end of our visit, a Blue Morpho decided to land on my hand and hung around long enough for me to take a couple "selfies" in addition to a kind woman snapping a couple for me as well.  The Blue Morpho is a beautiful butterfly, however, since the blue is on the top of its wings, you can only see it when in flight or should they open their wings when they land.  I was glad this was the one that chose me as it was probably my favorite of all.

Blue Morpho (Central/South America)


I took this video of a pair of butterflies doing the mating dance.  I was not able to identify them as they do not appear on the conservatory's chart.  Take a look.


The Yankee Candle flagship store is also on the same road, just a little ways down.  This store is hugnormous!  Not only does it have a candle emporium, it also includes a large gourmet food section, a gardening area, a housewares & gifts area, a sports area and miscellaneous other nooks & crannies.
Malachite (Central/South America)

Happy Wings to You Until We Meet Again!









No comments:

Post a Comment