Sunday, June 27, 2010

Generational Botanicals, a Cut Above

Back in 2002 I hung a variegated spider plant in the kitchen window of my apartment. It thrived there for 3 years, producing babies prolifically. My friend Mike liked the plant so much, I clipped a few babies away, rooted them and gave them to him with my good wishes in Spring 2005. November that same year I was leaving my apartment and moving to New Jersey. Gave the mother plant to a neighbor and off I went. It wasn't until recently (6/19/10) that I saw Mike again. The cuttings I gave him back in 2005 matured and produced many babies of its own since then. Mike rooted the babies in yogurt cups filled with soil. I took 3 of those babies home with me and planted them all together in one container (see photo). This is now a 3rd generation spider plant, and is already proudly displaying its own baby. Mike and I are good friends, and it makes sense that we should share in generational botanicals. Have no idea the status of the original plant, but its babies live on in Wallkill, NY and Roxbury, NJ.

This reminds me .... Al, if you happen to read this, I would like a cutting from the rubber plant I gave you way back in 1994. The last we communicated about it you advised that it was taking over your living room. So ... when you get back from Germany, you have a mission to fulfill. I'm very excited over the idea of doing some generational botanicals with you as well. I'm very much into succulents these days, so this will be just perfect!

No comments:

Post a Comment