Saturday, June 26, 2010

My First Dog, But Not My Last


For as long as I can remember, I have had a passion, if not an obsession, for all creatures big and small. Speaking of mostly the tamed and cuddly variety, I tend to gravitate to all kinds of living things, other than insects and humans that aggravate and inflict pain and discomfort of one sort or another.

I've looked through old photogaphs of me as a child and in one out of three photos, I'm either grasping onto (and innocently strangling) or positioned very near to, a dog, a cat or other. I've had as many as 17 pets under one roof at one time, and currently harbour 4 cats, a dog, many fish, 2 African frogs and a pair of mating Diamond Doves from Australia.

Growing up we always had a dog; however, my mother was allergic to cats. That didn't stop my many attempts at owning a cat of my own -- everything from "I found it in a Quaker Oats box on the side of the road!" to convincing my girlfriend to give me one as a birthday gift even though I acquired the kitten myself. You can't refuse a birthday gift can you? It's easy when the sign says "FREE Kittens"! Those homes would almost pay you to take them off their hands.

At one time I was very fascinated with Afghan Hounds; unique canines with very long ears that looked like the hippies from the 60's, with a large body and a thin, almost hairless tail that curled up and over its body. I collected porcelain figures of Afghans, and to me at the time, thought of them as something you only saw in picture books, but had to be unattainable. Until one day when I was checking the classifieds to see what pets were up for sale or adoption. There it was in black and white. "Afghan puppies. Registered AKC. $125" I couldn't believe my eyes ... the kennel was only a 30-minute drive away. Perfect! My parents were camping for the weekend; I can do this! So off to the kennel I went; not giving any thought to how I would present this new puppy to my parents who shot down any idea I ever had of owning one of my own. $125 was quite a bit back then, and it was every cent I had at the time, but well worth it. She was a gangly little thing, creme in color and with hardly any hair yet. I named her Cybil de Janvier as she was born in January. Driving home I came up with the idea of taking Cybil to meet the family at the campground rather than them coming home to find her there. My religious grandmother would also be at the campground as she was staying with us for a while. No way they would yell at me in front of her. Brilliant if I must say so! It worked! They really seemed to like Cybil, but there was a condition to my keeping her. She must be kept outside at all times. No problem. Bought her a beautiful A-frame doghouse and 4 months later got her spayed. Two weeks later I go out in the morning to feed her and she was gone! Cable intact, and no clue as to what happened. $100 reward; several phone calls and wild goose chases later -- no Cybil. There was always an Afghan, but never MY Afghan. Two months later; gave up all hope. Called the kennel I bought her from to inquire of any puppies and low and behold ... was advised that her brother at 9 months old, had yet to find a home. Well I guess it wouldn't hurt to look. (cont'd in another post. Go to 6 Months and 4 Dogs Later)

No comments:

Post a Comment