Monday, June 28, 2010

Quite Handsome as Buzzards Go I Suppose



June 26, 2010 - "Look at the big birdie!" I heard this guy say to his small child in tow behind his bike. I was watering my garden in the front of the house when he stopped and pointed to the street ahead. When I stepped forward to see what he was pointing to, there was a huge turkey vulture; standing as big and proud as he could. He had just claimed a meal; a dead squirrel that someone had run over earlier. I asked the guy if he wouldn't mind staying put until I returned with my camera for fear if he moved, so would the bird.

The vulture didn't seem to mind the audience; at least not until a man and his dog approached. At that moment the vulture spread his 8' wings (slight exaggeration, but not much) and flew up onto my neighbor's roof. Once up there he looked down on us like we were his disciples and he was preaching the gospel. He puffed up his wings and strutted around like he was putting on a show for us.

Eventually he flew back to finish what he started before disappearing through the trees. He was an ugly buzzard; but awesome at the same time. Just another one of Mother Nature's many creatures; albeit not one of her cuter ones. I guess even Mother Nature has her bad days.

No comments:

Post a Comment