Monday, October 14, 2013

Lovely Lavender, My Favorite Herb, Color & Scent!



I have always had a love for everything lavender.  I have a fragrant garden near where I park my garden that encompasses roses, lilacs, lantana & lavender.  The lavender is growing close enough to the walkway that even if I don't stop and brush against the stems intentionally with my hands, my leg brushes against it or I step on it, unintentionally releasing it's fragrance.  It's such a unique fragrance, and calming at the same time.





The color lavender has always enticed me as well.  I'm drawn to it wherever I am.  I can't help it, it just really suits me and I so appreciate it. Makes me happy. If you've read any of my posts here, you'll see that my signature Butterfly B is in the color lavender (also included below).  I once even tried lavender contacts, but since I have brown eyes, the result was more grey than lavender, so it wasn't the result I was hoping for.  I've had lavender extensions put in my hair, two (2) of my tattoos incorporate the color lavender as does my bedroom and downstairs bath.  A couple years ago I came across the most amazing pair of lavender cowboy boots I've ever seen.  Unfortunately, I have a high instep and have always had trouble putting on boots that do not feature a zipper.  I really had to struggle to get those lavender boots on.  Once I did they seemed comfortable enough, but realistically, what I needed to go through just to put them on would have me preparing to leave the house at least 30 minutes earlier than normal just to allow time to put them on.  I kept them for about a week on display in my bedroom until I was finally able to part with them and returned them to the store.  Like they say, it's better to have loved and lost then never to have loved at all, although I'm not sure I agree.  Anyone who knows even a little about me associates me with lavender (among other things), and now so do you!

Recently I had a friend ask me for advice with regard to a pot of lavender she has that is thriving outdoors, but a cold freeze is predicted very soon.  After offering her a couple of ideas, I thought others might find it helpful as well, so I decided to blog a bit about this wonderful herb.

Firstly, lavender is a perennial herb that thrives in full sun and is quite drought tolerant.  Every part of the plant is edible if you like that sort of thing.  Oddly, I'm not all that adventurous, and think flowers should be used to brighten up a spot inside and outside and even a cake or a cupcake stand, etc., but I do not want to put them in my mouth.  I made lavender tea once, the color was as beautiful of a lavender color as you could imagine, but the taste was off-putting to me.  So I will keep lavender all around me, just not inside me. The only exception I make is Herbs de Provence. Lavender is in there, but with everything else that is going on, I don't notice it.

The buds are more popular for crafting than the leaves, although it's fine to use the leaves as well; especially if you are putting it inside of a pillow or sachet where it will not be seen.  If you don't mind the look of the leaves, then no need to hide them.

Following is a list of some of the ways to use lavender from your garden, should you so desire:

Dried bundles of lavender:  Cut it just above the brown woody part of the stem, tie them together near the cut end and hang upside down in a cool, dry location for about 2-3 weeks.  The reason you hang it upside down is to ensure the color stays in the buds as it dries; otherwise the color can fade out.  Always keep away from direct sunlight that can fade the buds and turn the stems brittle.



Lavender sachet:  Remove the buds from the stems and stuff inside a organza bag. Place in a lingerie drawer, closet, your car, or any place where you will enjoy the fragrance. Every once in a while pick the sachet up and massage it gently to release the oils and scent from the buds to refresh.

Lavender wreath:  I would actually recommend using the fresh cut lavender to attached to a grapevine wreath and letting them dry that way.  Otherwise, attaching already dried stems still works great!  Make small bundles first and attach them at an angle the way I did in the photo below.  Gives it more of a rounded look.



Lavender linen spray: Put some distilled water and lavender buds in a spray bottle.  Let sit out of direct sunlight for several days to a month, giving the bottle a shake every week.  Spray onto your sheets and pillowcase and have a wonderfully calm night's sleep.

Lavender glycerin soap:  Use a favorite recipe or find one online.  My recipe:  Melt glycerin soap base according to manufacturer's directions, mix in a couple tablespoons of buds and 1/2 tsp. of lavender essential oil.  Pour into molds until set and release.  If you like making soap, please visit my blog post on Calendula Oatmeal & Orange Glycerin Soap.

Lavender pillows & neck warmers (for those that sew):  Stuff lavender buds inside a small pillow along with the fiberfill before you close it up, or make a small, long, narrow pillow stuffed wit only the buds for the back of your neck.  Heat in the microwave.  Time will depend on the size and how stuffed the pillow is. Place on your neck to relieve stress.



Lavishly Loving Lavender,

No comments:

Post a Comment