Saturday, October 12, 2013

Dremel Dee Dremel Dum, Carving a Pumpkin is So Much Fun


This is the first time I've have used my Dremel tool to carve a design on a pumpkin.  I used a Fun-Kin Pumpkin (fake) from Jo-Ann's.  It took me about an hour to finish it and wasn't quite as bad as I had anticipated.  Actually I was into it and was definitely getting better as I went along.  It was messy, but well worth it.

I looked online for a design and decided on this one.  I love owls and I love the face in the moon - perfect! I then attached it with tape to the side of the pumpkin I felt was most suitable.  Taking a pen that no longer has ink in it, I went over the outline of the design, pressing firmly, in order to transfer it by leaving an indentation of the design onto the pumpkin itself.  Once I did that I went over the indentation with a Sharpie. That probably wasn't my best idea as I was unable to carve off all of the Sharpie lines.  I used nail polish remover to remove any black marks remaining.

Considering I've never done this before, I was pleased with the way my design turned out.  I have a couple other ideas for the next time, and also need to carve deeper so that the light shines thru better.  It will take a lot of practice to get full control over the Dremel in order to carve deeper in and around all the tiny detail.

If you should decide to tackle a carved pumpkin for yourself, I cannot stress enough the importance of wearing safety goggles and doing this outside if possible.  The front of my goggles were covered with rubber orange dust which would have been in my eyes otherwise.  My clothes, Dremel and the deck were also orange.  I cleaned up the table, carved pumpkin and my Dremel with a dry paint brush.  Worked like a charm.





No comments:

Post a Comment