Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Slow Cooker Salted Caramel Apple & Pear Butter



I had apples and pears on my counter aging by the day.  What to make, what to make?  Then I remembered this recipe.  It's so easy it's fool-proof.  I know it doesn't make any sense, but I actually had to go out and buy a couple more apples and a couple more pears to make a full pot.







Here's what you do:

Peel, core and dice up 8 apples (I used a mixture of Granny Smith, Macoun & Cortland)
Peel, core and dice up 6 pears (I used Bosc)
1 1/2 c dark brown sugar
1/2 c apple cider
2 T boiled cider (optional)
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp ground cloves

Put all ingredients in a slow cooker and set the control to low.  Do not remove lid or stir for 12 hours.  After 12 hours, mash with a potato masher or use an immersion blender and blend until smooth.  Prop up the lid by placing the handle of a wooden spoon under it and continue to cook for another 6 hours.  Check the consistency.  If you want it thicker continue to cook up to a total of 24 hours, check every couple of hours for consistency.

Divide into jars with lids and cool completely.  Place in the refrigerator for up to 3 weeks.  Alternatively you use a canning method with a hot water bath.

Apple-Pear Butter is good on biscuits, english muffins, toast, pancakes or waffles or scones.  You can put it on ice cream, in granola, in place of jelly on a PBJ, or any other time you would normally use jam, jelly or applesauce.  Bake it into cookie bars, breads or bundt cakes.  There are many recipes on line.  I served mine with Glazed Bacon & Pecan Buttermilk Scones.  So so yummy!


If you are interested in my recipe for the Candied Bacon & Pecan Buttermilk Scones, this link will take you to my post.



As always, thank you for taking the time to visit!



No comments:

Post a Comment