Monday, August 5, 2013

Baby House Wren Brings Me An "Ahhh" Moment





I just love "ahhhh" moments and today I was very fortunate to experience one.  Sitting outside on the deck doing my work that I don't get paid for, but is necessary, enjoying the beautiful spring-like weather.  My car's intelligence told me it was only 68 degrees and the humidity was very low.

House Wrens were squawking around me and I got the feeling they were trying to tell me something, like "hey we're hungry, you think you can get off your duff and fill the feeders?"  My verbal response was "OK, OK, let me just finish this one thought."  Suddenly one of them flies very close to me and in the next second is trying to land on my head.  Wow - they mean business.  Just then the bird that tried for a head top landing, landed instead in the chair next to me.  At first glance I thought it was a Hummingbird because it was so tiny, but then realized it was a baby House Wren.  Soooo cute, and, wait for it ....... ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh!  I thought I'd scoop her up and put her on the lawn, but she flew through my fingers and into the house.  I keep the door open on nice days so doggie can let himself in and out and I can also hear the phone should it ring.

I immediately followed baby bird into the house, but couldn't find where she ended up.  She was pretty noisy outside, but inside she's not making a peep.  Without a sound, it was near impossible to find her - did she land somewhere above the floor or was she on the floor?  Please make a little noise so I have a clue where to focus my attention.  In the meantime, Mama bird is going ballistic outside wondering what became of her baby.

Finally I could hear little chirps,  really more like squawks, and followed them.  When I finally spotted her it wasn't easy to get her as she was so small she kept slipping through my fingers.  After several attempts success was finally mine!  Of course my rule is everything that comes onto my property and into my view is fair game for a photo shoot before it's free to return to the enchantment of my yard.  She didn't give me any struggle, probably because she was stressed and wanted her mommy, not because she enjoyed sitting in my hand.

Several snapshots later I put her out on top of the patio chair where mom could find her and after a minute, they were reunited.  Mom's constant sounds of fret continued for almost an hour afterwards.  I assume she was disciplining her baby for not only making a bad decision flying into the house, but scaring her half to death fearing for her safety.  Moms are moms no matter what the species.

Tweetly yours, 



No comments:

Post a Comment