Sunday, August 4, 2013

Tiramisu. This "pick me up" dessert comes with a challenge

YES

NO


Tiramisu is one of my most favorite desserts. However, finding a key component can present quite a challenge - ladyfingers!  In my local ShopRite Supermarket they tend to move them each time I decide to make this light and tasty espresso delight.  Used to find them with the gourmet crackers, then on an end cap with other miscellaneous items, and most recently on the cookie aisle where I feel they should have been all along.  Now let me add that should you decide to attempt this for the first time, not all ladyfingers are created equal.  I consider myself an expert on Tiramisu simply because I say it's so.  That said, ha, I recommend Italian, or gourmet, ladyfingers NOT the small soft spongy ones that usually come in a flat package. Uh uh!  If, after you've mastered Tiramisu, you simply cannot find the gourmet style, and you feel desperate enough to use those, then by all means have at it.  BUT please refrain when it's your first time because the final product will be a sub-standard version and you shouldn't start off that way.  You will recognize the gourmet ladyfingers as they will have an Italian name and will be approx. 4" long and obsess a hard, crunchy texture.  They may even have a description on the package similar to "crisp sugar-coated sponge cookie".  If you are unsuccessful in finding the gourmet ladyfingers at the your local grocer, fear not.  I  have two (2) alternatives for you:    1) you can use sponge cake, and (2) you can always order them online if time allows.

Ciao!



No comments:

Post a Comment