Saturday, September 21, 2013

Thrift Store Chair Turned French Country with AS Chalk Paint



Before
After


I bought this chair for $5.00 from a local thrift shop.  I needed a small chair to add to my French Country Bedroom and with a little TLC I knew this would be perfect.  I popped off the original seat cushion, which was thin and deteriorating and covered with a cheap torn vinyl.  I then painted the entire chair with AS Chalk Paint in Paris Grey.  I originally wanted to do a dry brush of Old White over it, but alas, what small amount was left in the can was not usable.  My first alternative was a dry brush of Duck Egg Blue and I loved it.  But then thought that I really should have used Paloma instead for a subtle lavender look since that is the main color in the room.  Hey, why not add that color as well, but instead of dry brushing it on, I thinned it quite a bit and splattered it all over with a 1" brush.  LOVE!

While that was drying I got to working on the cushion.  I bought a dense foam replacement from Jo-Ann's and used the same fabric (old tabbed muslin curtains) I used for the closet door panels in the bedroom.  I wanted to do a French image transfer and remembered I had just the thing.  I previously downloaded a French Wreath and Bee from The Graphics Fairy and ran it thru my inkjet printer onto Iron On Transfer Paper.  First I ironed the fabric, then I cut out the image and centered it on the fabric and transferred the image using a hot, dry iron.  Once the image was successfully transferred and set, I stapled the fabric over the foam onto the back of the original wooden seat template.  I laid it upon the newly made-over chair and was very happy with the results.




Not being one to leave well enough alone, I sat staring at the chair feeling very pleased with myself and at the same time noticing my nail polish.  Hey, the chair looks almost like my polish minus the black.  I could add some flecks of black paint with an old toothbrush and then the black graphic on the cushion would tie in nicely!  So that's exactly what I did.  I added just enough water to a puddle of black acrylic paint to make it the consistency of ink.  Got my toothbrush (well I actually used my husband's!  haha - not really) and flicked the fleck out of it.  It just keeps getting better!  All that is left to do is apply some clear wax, screw on the cushion and place it in the bedroom.  Voila! as the French say.



A Perfect Match!





Avoir un siège!











No comments:

Post a Comment