Monday, December 9, 2013

Christmas Craft Potpourri



Since I have some extra time on my hands now after losing my job this past summer, I challenged myself to see how many crafts I could create before my baking schedule filled up.  Here are a few of them.  If anyone is interested in the directions, I'm glad to oblige.  Please send an email with your request.

Firstly, about 4 years ago I broke a large red wine glass.  I immediately threw all the pieces away and then after a few seconds of thought, went back in and grabbed the bowl.  I didn't know what yet, but I knew it would come in handy some day.  This year I finally used it as a cloche.  I picked up a candle dish at a yard sale over the summer and this "cloche" fit perfectly inside of it.  Some bottle brush trees - my favorite, figures from snow village scenes, a cut out of a house in the background, a jar of snow, assorted ephemera, and of course lots of glitter - voila!


Side note:  I've used broken stemware where a big part of the stem and the entire bowl were intact; mostly missing the foot, and stuck it outside in a flower pot and poured water in it for the birds, butterflies, etc.





This craft was inspired by something I saw in a store while waiting in a long line to pay.  Theirs was very simple - 2 green trees and silver glitter.  The wheels began turning and this is what I came up with, again with my bottle brush addiction.

Basically I took a 10" foam wreath and a 6" foam circle.  I cut 1/3 from the top of the circle and attached it inside the wreath to act as a platform for all the pieces I was about to stuff in it.  I added bottle brush trees of varying types, a tree cookie cutter (peeking out behind the large white tree on the right), a blue tree ornament and a fancy snowman ornament purchased from the Dollar Store.  I also included a figure from a Snow Village (center), some sparkly colored balls, metal snowflakes, GLITTER and a light.  The cord from the light is held in place with floral pins.  You will need to fashion a hanger for the back that sticks out beyond all the trees and the light socket.  I use 20-gauge wire.

The above photo was taken without the light turned on and with a flash.  Below are other photos with different settings.  Still not able to really capture what you see in person.





Since I've acquired a fondness for owls over the last year, I made this Mixed Media piece over stretched canvas.  I used Christmas-themed scrapbooking paper, stickers, mylar owl, silver tinsel, glass starts and glitter!  The owl is clear in person.  It's 2 layers and the flash caused it to shadow.  I used self-adhesive spacers when I attached the cutouts to give more dimension.


Last is a rustic tree with star cutouts made from a 14" styrofoam cone.  First I cut the cone down the middle, then I thinned each side out with a spoon (hard work, but ....).  Once I had them to about 1/4" thick, I carved out stars on one half, taking care to leave the star pieces totally in tact as I would be using them later.  I then painted the tree Black Cherry, inside and out, using acrylic paint, and each star I cut out in Gold.  When all pieces were completely dry, I glued the stars against the cutouts in an offset pattern, not directly in line with the cutout.  Once dry, I glued the two sides of the tree back together.  With 20-gauge copper wire I formed a star and attached it to the top.




Have a wonderful, blessed holiday season!

No comments:

Post a Comment